Monday, June 25, 2012

Does this post make my bum look big...

The other day a friend asked me if a skirt she was wearing made her bum look big.  Yeah, I know what the guys in the audience are thinking.  Trick question!  But no, it wasn't.  She asked, and I told her that yes, it did make her bum look big.  Then I told her that the A-line skirt would be a better choice with the blouse she was wearing if she was trying to avoid that.  She agreed with  me and decided to change into the other skirt.

Another friend happened to be with us, a guy, and he was horrified.  Not by the fact that I'd apparently broken the cardinal rule of how to answer the "Does my but look big" question ... but by the fact that I didn't get my head ripped off for my troubles.

It took us a while to explain the reason to him, which I'm now going to explain to you.  You see, the reason I could get away with being so grossly insulting, and I'm aware of the sexism involved in this, is because I'm a girl.

Yep, if asked, girls can tell other girls that their butts look big.  This only works though if you're asked, not if you just volunteer the information out of thin air.  I know, it's completely unfair, but there you go.  I see so many poor guys out there being verbally eviscerated by their wives/girlfriends, when all it would take is a pre-prepared answer and a bit of quick thinking to save their hides.

But in an effort to help the gentlemen out there avoid the pitfalls of this veritable verbal minefield, I've decided to grace you all with "Kellie's Guide to Answering The Tough Questions".  (Disclaimer:  This guide in no way guarantees that you will be able to answer the tough questions.  In fact, in all likelihood all you'll do is just get yourself in deeper trouble.)

Does my bum look big in this?

Gentlemen, the answer to this should be an immediate and resounding no!  If she wanted the truth, she would ask a female friend.  If she's asking you, she wants reassurance that you still find her as sylph like as you ever did.  

I don't care if it looks like she rammed a Christmas turkey into a condom, you tell her that she looks all sorts of lovely and let it go at that!

Do you notice anything new?

This is always a hard one.  It could be a new hair cut, it could be new shoes, it could be she had the kitchen lino replaced.  Really, it's a crap shoot.  

My best suggestion for this is to say "I thought there was something different, but I wasn't sure.  Whatever it is, you look great!"  It allows her to feel like you complimented her, while also inviting her to answer the question for you.  Again, it's a gamble, but it's the best chance you're going to get.

What are you thinking?

A lot of guys I know have told me that this one always annoys the shit out of them.  Why on earth do we want to know what they're thinking?  Well, to be completely honest, what she's really asking is are you thinking of HER.

If you don't want to answer honestly (and seriously, if you answer is something like "your sister in a bikini" then you DON'T want to answer honestly), try something simple but cute.  My recommendation would be "I was thinking about where I want to take you next time we both have a day off.  What do you think of a picnic?"

And yes, then you do have to take her on a picnic.  Suck it up, cupcake.


But there is one question, ladies and gentlemen, that one can never answer correctly.  No matter what you say, responding to "So, have you stopped beating your partner" will never make you look good.

15 comments:

  1. Very good advice!!! My husband rarely notices anything new. I've given up the fight on that one. Good thing he never looks at the credit card bills either. LOL!!! LOVE those chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All men should read this post. And I also have given up on expecting my husband to notice anything new. When we're driving down a road we've traveled hundreds of times, my husband will sometimes be like "Wow. I never noticed that before. It must be new." "No, sweetie. It's been there for two years." And I wish I were exaggerating on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Rammed a Christmas turkey into a condom." The visual was the funniest thing ever. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am guilty of asking men what they are thinking. At first, they are excited to find that someone actually cares to ask, but they tire of it very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually get that deer in the headlights look when I ask it.

      Delete
  5. Question: what if I like big butts? No, that wasn't a segway to me singing "and I cannot lie," but maybe making it look bigger is a good thing if she's lacking. Unless it looks like I can set my beer on it. Then probably not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! What exactly IS the appropriate way to tell a woman that you think she needs more junk in the trunk.

      Delete
  6. My friends know not to ask me a question they don't want an honest answer to. On the flipside, I try not to lend advice where it is not asked for. This is highly appreciated as I tend to be quite opinionated about fashion.

    I ask my male friends about stuff all the time and respect their answers. Of course, most of them are afraid of me and don't tell me the truth for fear I'll get them back. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's important to instil fear in your minions ... I mean friends.

      Delete
  7. But what if the girls butt looks big AND you like it that way?

    "So Bersercules have you stopped beating your partner?"
    "No, I'm still better then her at all the video games and board games we play together."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you imagination if I repost that up to the web site?
    One of the better to ensure credit score is provided wherever it truly is owing.
    Have a great a single!
    Feel free to surf my blog post : www.zuneauto.com

    ReplyDelete