Monday, June 18, 2012

The next generation is looking pretty good to me...

I was wandering around on tumblr ... as is my wont ... when I came across this little gem.


Mikey is only 9 years old and he was inspired to make this video after watching the girls on America's Next Top Model badmouthing themselves.  The fact that he can see how poisonous that is ... and choose to do something about it ... gives me so much hope.

It's almost like we're taught from an early age that it's not only acceptable but expected for us to say derogatory things about ourselves.  We don't like ourselves, and society tells us we shouldn't.  But if the kids of today can see that, and can fight past it, we might actually stand a chance of getting rid of that awful, crushing tradition.

This kid is adorable and if this is an indication of what the next generation is turning into then I think all you parents out there can rest easy knowing that you must have done SOMETHING right.

23 comments:

  1. Lol, cute idea - but it feels a little staged ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite possibly, but the message is still good I think. And I just love how sassy he is :D

      Delete
  2. I have some awards for you on my blog. Feel free to stop by to pick them up.

    http://lgkeltner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome, I want this kid around me every morning!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I just loved listening to him, I thought others might too.

      Delete
  4. That kid is awesome. His momma must be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'd be proud if I was her. She's definitely done something right with him.

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with you!! Why are we taught from so young NOT to like ourselves? If you do like yourself, then you're vain and cocky. If you don't like yourself, than you're insecure and annoying. Children don't know what to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely sucks, but when I see small steps forward like this, it makes me so happy.

      Delete
  6. I wanna set this kid up with my daughter in about 15 years!!! Just awesome!

    Hugs!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Everyone loves an arranged marriage, and they ALWAYS turn out successful.

      Delete
  7. I hate America's next top model and their awful, bitchy contestants. But then again, if I was 80 lbs and only ate 3 crackers for sustenance each day, I'd probably be a bitchy, miserable person too.

    ReplyDelete