Even today I occasionally will hear someone singing them, usually accompanied by an acoustic guitar in an attempt to be ironically nostalgic. And because I love those songs so much I actually restrain myself from smacking them in the face.
I hate people who try to be ironically nostalgic via the medium of acoustic guitar.
So I've decided to compile a list of my favourite theme tunes from kids shows. Lets see how many of them you recognise!
1. Gummi Bears: I think this was my first brush with lollies turned cartoon characters. I couldn't even tell you what the show was about today, but I can still sing the whole theme tune.
2. Fraggle Rock: God, didn't we all love this show? There was just something so amazing about the idea of teeny little people living under the house ... although the doozers always freaked me out a little bit.
3. The Wombles: These guys were definitely ahead of their time! They were recycling before it became all "cool". And who doesn't love Bernard Cribbin's voice.
4. The Famous Five: I'm not sure what it was about four kids and a dog that kept me coming back for more ... but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was the fact that George owned an island. She was a kid and she owned a freaking island! I was always so jealous of her for that.
5. Monkey Magic: I personally think that this show is almost entirely responsible for how many Buddhists there are in my generation.
So, what are your favourite theme tunes from when you were kids?