But without the channel surfing I used to do, losing the odd half hour here and there to some stupid show I didn't really want to watch in the first place, I find myself with a lot more time available for other forms of entertainment. My chosen form? Vlogs and web series!
Youtube, my friends, is a beautiful thing.
There is so much good content to be found, if you know where to look for it. With the channels I subscribe to on Youtube I literally have well over an hour's worth of viewing waiting for me each evening when I get home. Sure, some of it's amateurish. It can be badly acted, or the filming can be pretty crappy, but the thing that makes up for that is the fact that these are real people, putting out their creations as they wanted it to be seen. No one else rewriting it, no one censoring what they're trying to tell us.
And for every less than perfect production there's one that is just amazing. The quality of some of these is just mind blowing, especially when you take into consideration a lot of them are filming on their own, no assistance, with just a few video editing programs to help them.
Call me a crazy, but I think that it's important to support the people that feel the urge to create for creation sake. So I'm going to provide you with a list of my favourite vlogs and web series! Go watch a few ... or better yet, have a hunt around and find some that appeal to you. We've got so many different forms of entertainment these days, it seems stupid just to limit ourselves to the boob tube.
1. The Guild: This web series is one of my favourites! For anyone who is into gaming, or who knows someone into gaming, you'll be able to relate. It's the story of a guild of gamers, each of them socially inept in their own way, and how their friendships grow through their game. It's hilarious, and so well done! They've done five seasons so far so there's plenty to watch.
2. Ghost Watching: If you're a fan of the macabre, you'll love this channel on Youtube. This one has lots and lots of documentaries about haunted places. Castles, churches, cemeteries, all the good stuff we phasmophiles love. You've no idea the number of hours I've whiled away watching their clips.
3. You Deserve A Drink: If you like your social commentary with a splash of vodka, then this will definitely appeal to you. Mamrie gives her opinions on pretty much anything she can come up with, while mixing appropriately themed cocktails.
4. Crash Course: If you're a nerd like me and you like to learn about things, this channel will be right up your alley. Concise, ten to fifteen minute videos on different topics, anything from the the Agricultural Revolution to an explanation of the theory of evolution. All the things you were supposed to learn in school, but presented in a concise, easy to follow way that makes you actually want to know about them!
5. Husbands: This one is hilarious! It's a web series about an actor and his base baller boyfriend who get married in Vegas after a drunken night celebrating the legalisation of gay marriage in Nevada, and then decide to try and make a go of it. They've just started their second season.
So, do any of you have any recommendations? Don't be shy, share them with the class.