Sunday, September 16, 2012

I smell bacon...

Photo Source: Imgur
No one likes getting a traffic fine.  It's embarrassing, expensive, and even when you know you're at fault you can't help feeling hard done by.    How dare they curb your automotive creativity!  There was plenty of green left in that light!  Speed limits are just suggestions anyway, aren't they?

I've only ever had one ticket myself, for driving on my own in a two plus occupant lane.  I still contend that I have enough personality that I should be counted as at least two people, but the cop hiding in a side street failed to accept my obviously superior logic.  So I sucked it up, gave him a smile that was at least part grimace, and grudgingly took the ticket.  As much as I would have liked to I didn't rock the boat or get mouthy.

But this guy did something that most of us would only daydream about.  After receiving a fine for $137, he turned up at the police station to pay it with cash ... one hundred and thirty seven single dollar bills ... each of them folded into teeny little origami pigs!

Seriously, this guy took six hours to sit down and fold all those wee little piggies, put them in ... get this ... a couple of Dunkin Donut boxes, then walked into the police station as cool as you please and tried to pay his fine with them!  The guy behind the counter, and the cop he called in to help him, were less impressed than me however.

They insisted that he unfold all the little piggies before they'd accept them.  Fair enough, I suppose, it wasn't that poor cashier's fault the guy got a fine, why should he have to unfold them all.  And truely, they were a lot cooler about it than you'd expect.  They even admitted that it made them smile.

I'm sure it was just an attempt on his part to do something funny that he could post on Youtube in the hopes it'd go viral (it worked), but that's still one of the coolest things I've seen all week!  And that, my friend, is why I'm awarding you my Official Seal of Awesomeness.  Seriously, anyone who has the brass balls to pull off a duelling pigs/donuts joke in the middle of a police station deserves it!

40 comments:

  1. I saw the story as well and........giggled. Imagine, with all my ferocious dignification, I actually giggled. And chortled. May have even let loose with a guffaw or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. And more than a little but of bravery. I'd never have the guts.

      Delete
  3. That certainly is quite a bit of determination to mess with the police. I don't even know how to make an origami pig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either. My origami shapes always ended up looking the same... like screwed up tissues.

      Delete
  4. Very funny! I'm never that clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either. I always wonder where they get the ideas from. The best I can usually manage is a sassy retort!

      Delete
  5. This is too funny. That guy is very creative. I would not try that with the IRS, though. They have NO sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Can you imagine paying your tax bill with tiny little origami Mosquitos? Well they do suck us dry ;)

      Delete
  6. My son showed this to me the other day; too funny!! Honestly, I think it was very clever of that guy to pay the fine like this, but I do have to agree, I wouldn't have wanted to unfold each of the pigs either. I shouldn't jinx myself, but I haven't gotten any tickets(yet) in my over 30 years of driving, so let's hope I'm never faced with having to pay such a fine :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww! You beat me to it. I was going to write a very similar post about this guy, who made a strong case for being my favorite person ever. He got the ticket from a redlight camera meaning he got the ticket in the mail. The most passive-aggressive form of being ticketed, so it's only fair that he pay in the most passive aggressive way possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for pipping you at the post! That's the problem with those of us who write about current affairs (and I use the term loosely), there's always the chance of crossover.

      Delete
  8. Man, I wish I would have been this clever when I was younger. Or now for that matter. My dad was a policeman for 30 years. The look on my dad's face when I paid him back the $1,800 for my college tuition, all in little pigs, would have been fantastic. And I so wouldn't have unfolded them, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine his face when he saw 1800 origami money pigs? It'd be worth the days of folding!

      Delete
  9. That's a lot of work to make a commonplace insult. He could have just written a cheque payable to "The Pigs".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but it would have lacked the sarcastic elegance, I think.

      Delete
  10. Clever and crafty...Got to hand it to him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read about this on Yahoo. I don't know if I admire this guy or think he's nuts. I once got horrible service at a Paris cafe and I paid the bill with a pound of French coins, five of which equaled a US penny. The waiter screamed that he wouldn't take them. I told him that if his country was stupid enough to make coins worth a fifth of a penny, then I sure as hell could use them. And I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Well if it's legal tender, then they're obliged to accept it!

      Delete
  12. Ok, that's officially awesome. You gave out the award to the most deserving for sure. Although I'm so out of the Youtube loop, I had no idea anything with pigs and money went viral.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the seal/award from you - that's creative too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not so sure he deserves this award. Maybe if he had made them into unicorns...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he'd managed unicorns I would have had to marry him! No, seriously, that would have been way too awesome, I wouldnt have had a choice!

      Delete
  15. Wouldn't it be great if life was a little more piggy american dollar bills more often....minus the fines would help though xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If someone gave me 137 piggie dollars, I wouldn't turn up my nose. It's still $137!

      Delete
  16. That is just awesome! The time spent undoing all of them would have been totally worth it for me. Kudos to him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing he was trying to make a point, so I imagine his righteous indignation kept him company while he folded them :D

      Delete
  17. Awesome, there is no way I have the balls for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either, although a part of me wants to go down to the coffee shop and try to pay for my chicken sandwich with origami chicken dollar bills.

      Delete
  18. Ha! That's friggn awesome. He has earned that seal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This man is my new hero. I wonder if he can do little dollar platypi!!!

    Hugs!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hаvіng read this I bеlіеved іt was extremely enlightening.
    I apρreciate you finding the time and energy to ρut this
    aгtіcle together. I once again finԁ mуsеlf spendіng
    way too much time both reading and leaving comments.
    But so what, it wаѕ still ωorth it!

    Ηere is my website same day loans

    ReplyDelete