Friday, January 3, 2014

Just call me Ms Moneybags...

So there I was, minding my own business, and suddenly it's 2014.  How the hell did that happen!  I've only just got the hang of writing "XX/XX/2013" on all my paperwork, and now I have to go and get used to a new year.

The bloody nerve!

So I suppose you're all just on the edges of your seats to find out what my New Year's resolution is.  After all, I was so adamant about not having one last year [link], could I have possibly changed my mind and decided to come up with something this year?  Well, as fate would have it, I actually have.

This year my resolution is to get a grip on my finance.  To start investing in something other than World War II photographic memorabilia and Doctor Who trading cards.  

My resolution is to become a day trader, trading shares on the exchange!

Okay, so maybe that's overstating it a teensy bit.  The reality is that while my brother was visiting over Christmas he forced me, using his evil brotherly wiles and a liberal dose of blackmail, to open a trading account and throw a couple thousand into it.

So I guess it's less of a New Years Resolution and more like sibling peer pressure.

Still, I've had fun with it so far.  I made out like a bandit the first two days, increasing my money by 50%.  In hindsight, it probably wasn't the most realistic introduction to day trading, but I wasn't complaining.

Of course reality was only to happy to kick me in the butt the next day.

Since then I've made a few (okay, a lot) of mistakes, and my "profit" has gone down a bit.  Turns out the general rule is buy low, sell high, not the other way around.  Who knew!  But I've still come out well and truly ahead so I'm going to call it a success!

Look at me, being all financy!  I'm sure I'll be a millionaire in no time ... that's how it works, right?

18 comments:

  1. WOW, so now you're one of "those people" who vacation on yachts, eat at all the trendy restaurants, wear pure designer fashion, drive a Porche, and when you ask them what they do for a living they reply coyly, "I'm a day trader". I always thought that meant you traded one day for another and could never figure out how they had all that fancy schmancy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, Ms. Moneybags, are you going to turn into a money addict like Bernie Madoff, Jamie Dimon the CEO JPMorgan Chase, and Lloyd Blankfein the CEO of Goldman Sachs, are you? And what separates a Day Trader from a gambling addict? Hopefully, you've already set up off-shore accounts to avoid taxes and invested in Bitcoins for whatever reason people do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a solid start to the New Year...money in the bank....gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember us little people when you're dining with the Trumps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you'll have more money to indulge your World War II and Dr. Who fetishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In a few years I'll be trying to tap you for a loan. Enjoy your millions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your chances better than playing the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've set for myself some lofty financial goals, too. I need $35 by Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stole my answer, Lowandslow!!

      Delete
  9. I have money taken out of my checking account (automatically) twice per month. It goes in my little emergency savings account, which I have wiped out during a couple of emergencies. It's always a good idea to have some cash you can get your hands on quickly. The emergency account stops me from dipping into retirement funds.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! I don't have what it takes to succeed in finance. I can't even stay out of jail in Monoploy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always swear I will ty to be more organized, and finances certainly are an underappreciated category!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sure you'll be rich before you know it. What could possibly go wrong????. I personally, have never tried day trading as it takes some time daily to stay on top of what is going on in the financial world....and as I am both lazy and uniformed, I probably wouldn't be good at it. BUT here's hoping you make big money and teach the rest of us how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finances can be a headache....but we gotta do it. Best wishes for a successful year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And I'm going to win $100 million in lotto, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome to the trading club, it's lots of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would never make it as a day trader. I procrastinate so much, the time between when I decide to buy or sell, then actually do the buying and selling would make me more of a month trader. Sometimes a year trader. Don't think those jobs are quite so lucrative.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete