Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I'm not sure if I'm a literary snob or the classics equivalent of a Belieber...

Source
I know that it's not exactly fashionable to admit it anymore, but I have to confess something to you all.

I love Pride & Prejudice.

I know, I know, liking Lizzie Bennet and lusting after Mr Darcy is so 1995, but it's the truth.  I love P&P, always have, always will.

I remember the first time I read it back in high school, before it was synonymous with Colin Firth trudging sexily out of a lake.  I just adored it, and not in that "Ooh, it's Jane Austen, so everything of hers must be amazing" kind of way.  Truth be told, P&P is the only one I've ever been able to stand to read all the way through more than once.  Maybe that makes me a literary Plebeian, but I don't care.

But the point of this little rant to to make a recommendation to you all.  Go and check out the web series below, or mainline the whole thing by watching the playlist here [link].  It's a modern retelling of the story, with Lizzie as a media student who starts a video blog.  It's low budget, done completely in the style of vlogging, and is so clever!

It's actually finished now, and with 100 episodes at between three and four minutes each, that's almost six hours of viewing.  Honestly, if you like Pride and Prejudice even a little bit, you're going to love The Lizzie Bennet Diaries.





You're welcome.

34 comments:

  1. I love the book but I've never seen the movie; even though it has one of my celebrity crushes in it (Keira Knightley)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie's pretty good, but of course it's not exactly the same as the book and it takes a few liberties.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tip .
    I do adore P&P ,have to check it out !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried to get into Jane Austen's work but they just aren't for me. Nothing ever blows up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know we were required to read the book in high school, but that's all I remember about it, except when asked who wrote it on Trivial Pursuit I could actually shout out "Jane Austen" and feel quite proud of myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! To be honest, P&P is really just a Harlequin novel written in the early 1800's.

      Delete
  5. I've never read it... Maybe I should get on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a shot. If you like cute romances, you'll love it.

      Delete
  6. I'll definitely check these videos out! Excuse me, have to go now, my life-size cardboard cutout of Mr Darcy needs dusting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am definitely going to have to check these out! People keep recommending P&P to me, but I've never read it! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P&P is one of those novels you have to read just so you can decide if you agree with everyone or not. It's like Harry Potter or Twilight.

      Delete
  8. I love everything Austen, but Emma is my favorite. Pride & Prejudice is hilarious, and I do adore Colin Firth rising sexily from the pond.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm sorry, but I forgot to say that I am, indeed, a literary snob.

    Love again,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm assuming that you have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/pride-and-prejudice-and-zombies-jane-austen/1100214147?ean=9781594743344

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you enjoy it, but I'm afraid I'll have to agree with brother Stephen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am definitely curious about this series! I will have to check it out! The book is fabulous. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hadn't heard of Lizzie Bennet videos but it looks like they would be fun to watch. According to the Internet a DVD series is in the making to compile all of the episodes.

    I read the Pride and the Prejudice when I was really young. I always thought I should re-read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're quite popular, so it doesn't surprise me that they're making them into DVDs

      Delete
  14. This is so funny that I happened across your blog post today. I too posted a video review of Pride and Prejudice, Thug Notes. You have to watch it. I got a kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't stand Jane Austin. I couldn't even get through the zombie version

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who Jane Austin is, but Jane Austen is wonderful. So is Janie Junebug.

      Delete
  16. A web series? Isn't that great? I love classics more than anything. My favorite writer is John Steinbeck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adored this series as well. If I didn't have to work the next day after I started watching it, I probably would have stayed up and watch all the episodes in one night. Have you watched any of the spinoffs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started watching when they were up to about episode 70, and I watched all of them in one sitting!

      Delete