Saturday, October 5, 2013

How did the hipster burn his tongue? He sipped his coffee before it was cool...

I don't get hipsters.

I means sure, I understand what they are.  You see them everywhere these days dressed in their carefully constructed thrift store style ensembles that probably cost more than any article of clothing I own, drinking coffee in edgy little hole-in-the-wall coffee shops that seem to exist only to serve that particular portion of the population.

But I don't get the motivation behind it all.

The only reason I'm even thinking about them at the moment is because my brother and I were talking about them the other day.  I told him I couldn't even really explain what a hipster was, and he defined them perfectly.

"Hipsters are people who spend a fortune so that they can act like they're poor and miserable"

It just seems so strange to me to expend so much effort just to seem bored and uninterested all the time.

And I think that's the main problem I have with understanding hipsters.  They don't seem be be able to get excited about anything!  They're always so unimpressed by whatever it is going on around them, and even when they do like something it's with that frustrating touch of irony.

I'm sorry, but I like to get excited about thing.  Like, jump up and down and wriggle around in your seat excited.  Sometimes it will be about something important like human rights victories, and sometimes it will be about stupid things like the most recent storyline on Glee, but the excitement and enthusiasm for my topic will be the same.

It kind of makes me feel sorry for them.  A life where I can't squeal with excitement because Kurt and Blaine got engaged?  Yeah, that's a life I don't want to have to live.

31 comments:

  1. So when hipsters are no longer en vougue, I wonder if they will then dislike themselves? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've all been poor and miserable, bored and uninterested at times. It gives me great comfort to know I may have looked fashionable on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yawn!! Interesting post...I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, once being a hipster is no longer 'cool' all that expensive ugly clothing they wear will end up at Goodwill and the fashion bloggers will all be VERY happy to reap the cheap bargains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd make a joke about the homeless people being well dressed but that's obviously not going to be the case.

      Delete
  5. Quite the whiles back I had a quote "hipster type " boyfriend before I actually knew the word . Rich trying to be all you've described, or just was all that and such a boring drone ...what was I thinking back then ...eeek !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! He was cool before it was cool, which is to say he was uncool. Wow, that's actually pretty confusing, isn't it.

      Delete
  6. I am sure that this must be their way of showing disapproval about the overtly materialistic types but, I don't get the part of acting disinterested in everything. I just guess I am not cool enough to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats the best description I have ever heard, they do give us ahem normal people something to talk abut though don't they! Even in this small Northern town there are few to be seen, there is a trendy now coffee shop across from us and I see them sitting at the outdoor tables with their lap tops, designer coffees and thrift store outfits, usually with 6oo dollar brief cases and 600 dollar shoes, trying to impress us all with their thriftiness, ah well, there you go, it takes all kinds to make the world go round does it not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose at least they're helping the economy by buying all that pricey stuff.

      Delete
  8. I always tell Favorite Young Man that homeless people dress better than he does. I don't think he's bored enough or has enough money to be a hipster, though.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very protective of the title, there's all sorts of criteria to fit.

      Delete
  9. That plaid, bearded, just-rolled-out-of-bed look is pretty much how ALL Canadian men look so up here it's hard to tell who's a hipster and who's not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the title of this blog. It's giggly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes I think I must be a hipster, but then I remember that I care about stuff and express far too much enthusiasm about nerdy things. But I do kind of look the part... minus the hefty price tag.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So people who look like bums aren't necessarily real bums? Some are faux bums? Who knew!

    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expensively dressed faux bums!

      He he ... bum in Australia means ass ...

      Delete
  13. See how uncool I am---I thought hipsters were the opposite of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i got accused of being a hipster because i dress quirky...but i get way to excited about things that's why I couldn't be a goth either...give me sparkly colours!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! No, you definitely can't be a hipster is you get excited about stuff.

      Delete
  15. Not sure I'd be able to get out of bed were it not for the highs and lows!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hipsters, Schmipsters... Let them be miserable in their own little world. Keep the 'wriggle' in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You said "They're always so unimpressed by whatever it is going on around them"

    I'm unimpressed BY THEM!

    Hipster schmipster, what a joke!

    ReplyDelete